Friday, October 30, 2009

EL Teaching and Learning Resources - Angeline

I don't know if there are any copyright issues with suggest a book but here goes...

This is a series of young adult fiction by Darran Shan.
His writings are very descriptive and tantalising in nature.
Basically, the story is about a young boy named Darran Shan.
Although it is a fantasy story revolving around vampires, talking spiders and supernatural stuff, this is what our students will be interested in - at the very least, they will get hooked on Darran's adventure through a world we never know.
It can be used as an example for descriptive writing, narratives and even comprehension/cloze passage.

It will be suitable for students of lower than average ability in EL. I tried using parts of the text for my NT students when I was doing contract teaching and it was a success.

In order to help them understand the content, you can try using the graphic novel version of this story.

Here's page from the graphic novel:




The second resource that I want to recommend - The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
I'm very much a Magic Realism addict and therefore I would like share the joy of magic realism with the students.

While they might not understand Franz Kafka's original text, there are a few short films and animation created for this novel and this is my favourite version:
Youtube Video for short film

This story can be used as a comprehension exercise. Several debatable topics can be used to hold a debate and students can even come up with their own role play for it.

Check out the story's plot here: The Metamorphosis@Wiki

That's about all from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment